Monday 21 January 2013

The Results are In!

The results are in! The question was:
Would you rather...
...sleep in a tent on the Alaskan tundra, knowing that there is a grizzly bear with her cubs close by
-OR-
...sleep in a tent in your backyard, knowing that there is an armed criminal within 2 blocks of your tent?

Total responses: 16
Grizzly bear fighters: 11
Criminal combatants: 5

...and WHY?


"It could be easier to stay away from the bears and stay warm in the tent, than get caught in the crossfire of a convict with a gun and police with guns.”

That I trust a grizzly bear verse an escaped convict. I chose his answer because a grizzly bear with her cubs will only attack if provoked... an escaped convict is a lot more dangerous because they can “snap” whenever.

I'd rather deal with a person because they can be  psychologically manipulated.

I would pick option one because a lot of the time I like animals instead of people.  Animals kill out of protective instinct, so as long as I stayed in my tent and kept all of my food in my tent, there would be a greater chance of survival with the bears vrs the convict with the gun in my opinion...hmm, maybe I prefer the safest route instead of danger.  Also, bears are cute!  (but keep your distance!)

I think that escaped convicts usually have scores to settle, and wouldn't be out for random crimes. However a Grizzly bear would be curious and territorial...

I distance myself from what I fear.

...that I prefer to be mauled naturally, rather than maliciously. The bear would be doing something admirable, after all, even if I don't see it that way at the time.

If I'm going to die at least Alaska is somewhere cool! I feel like the bear might leave me alone if I respect her territory but you never know what the mind of an ex con is like .

Animals act on instinct, while people are crazy. So long as I have no food in my tent and do not place myself between the mother and her cubs, I should be perfectly fine. She is most likely to steer clear. The convict is most likely making decisions from a place of desperation making him far less predictable.

It's less of a risk.

I'd rather die while having an adventure than to die at home.

"It would seem to say that I tend to analyze situations objectively (at least, when I am not in the situation and given time to think). 

In my backyard I am close to people who could assist me or call for help as well as objects that I can use to defend myself or hide behind.  On a tundra, there isn't much I can do to outrun a bear or hide my scent.  There also isn't any reasoning with a hungry bear and her cubs!"
 
A little post-script for my fellow teachers:
I made this handy survey using Google docs. You'll need a google account, and then go to "google documents" site, click "New" and choose "document." It's pretty straightforward to create a survey/quiz. ONLY make sure that you select "Edit Confirmation- show results" if you want them to be public- you can't go back and show them later, as far as I can tell.
 
Some uses in the classroom:
-"exit" slip
-reading response
-anonymous class vote
-survey to get to know your students better
-"Dear Abbey" column

No comments:

Post a Comment