Monday 18 February 2013

All.About.Me


I’ve been thinking recently about how much of a digital presence I want to have. A quick google search of my name comes up with an old twitter profile and a profile of a researcher in California. Generally, I’ve avoided putting anything online with my real name because (a) I don’t want to put anything online that I would later regret and (b) I don’t want certain people to find me. Case in point: I had a picture of myself holding a rifle and somebody who heard about me from a co-worker found me on facebook and asked me out for dinner and then commented on the picture. It was awkward.

I realize that everyone is on a continuum from “extremely private” to “extremely open” on the internet. Some people worry that a stranger will steal their personal information or stalk them. They never use their real name for online accounts, and even their email address obscures their identity. They never allow their child’s name or picture to appear online, either. Their fear of being harmed keeps them from beneficial experiences and connections.

Other people use their name and picture unwisely. They use the internet to vent or to chronicle their not-so smart escapades (i.e., the Vancouver rioters). Their desire for attention gets them in trouble.
from www.cbc.ca
 
The last category is aware that on the internet, their audience is the world. They use the internet in a way that connects them with good people and upholds their dignity. If there is something in their life they don’t want everybody to see (their morning hair), they resist the urge to upload it. If there is something they want to say that could get them in trouble (my boss is a looney), they write it in a journal or tell a trustworthy person. These people use the internet to display their work, to share ideas, and to build relationships.

Any tool can hurt you, if you use it the wrong way. Try stepping on a rake. The important thing is to use the tool wisely.

That bring me to this week’s tech task. We were to use about.me to create an online directory of our blog, twitter, facebook, etc. I found the website easy to use, and the results quite pleasing! However, my problem is that I have never used my full name on my blog/twitter/facebook account. Nobody could find the real me unless I told them what my online identity is. And then they would already know me.

So do I want to use the internet for people to find me? I prepared to invest the time into maintain an online identity? Am I even interesting enough for people to follow? I'm not sure!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean Shannon. The internet can be a scary thing. I fought with the same types of feelings, questions and concerns. This class has definitely opened me up to the positives of having an online identity. I also believe that if you are cautious with what you put up then there is nothing wrong with identifying yourself on the internet. I also have a limit there are things I keep private, like Facebook, and then things I am beginning to make public such as twitter and my blog. As long as your cautious I see no harm in these tools.

    ReplyDelete