Saturday 9 February 2013

The Great Haiku DeathMatch

Every so often, I determine to read more poetry.
 
So I sign out a hefty volume such as "The Anthology of Atlantic Verse" (762 pgs).
 
Now I will be a cultured person, I think.
 
I read one poem and get bogged down in the imagery.
 
"Why don't people just say what they mean?" I wonder, and go read Stuart McLean.
 
 
So when my friend invited me to the Haiku DeathMatch, I was nonplussed. But I love my friend, so I said I'd come. Everyone was supposed to come with a haiku. So ten minutes before the even I googled "how to write a haiku." After getting the down-low (3 lines, 5 syllables/7syllables/5 syllables).
 
 
I looked around. I needed inspiration. My sister was vacuuming the stairs. I thought of how our neighbour had recently given us a vacuum cleaner (we had gone for a year without one in a household of four people with long hair) and my heart swelled with joy. Here was something I could truly put my soul into!
 
Snarled clods of hair
Dead skin cells a.k.a just
Obliterated
 
Done. I dashed for the door.
 
I had not spent more than 5 minutes at the Haiku DeathMatch when I found myself wishing I had put a little more thought into my contribution....
 
"Stars"
I gaze into the
crowded canvas of the sky
Where are you my love?
-Chris
 
"Puberty"
Before puberty,
I had a stu-u-u-ter
But now I speak clearly.
-Orion
 
Suffice to say, I did not win the Haiku DeathMatch. But after the event, I decided
 
Good idea, Fran.
More parties should be like this
All guests contribute
 
Creative events
Bring out the best in people
Hidden talents shine
 
Haiku are easy
difficult, bland, creative
You get to choose which.
 
So teachers out there,
Use haiku in your classroom
Unforgettable
 
Watch this video for more haiku info:


Photo Credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/28167759@N00/3602655506/">howard.hall</a> via <a href="http://compfight.com">Compfight</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/">cc</a>

1 comment:

  1. The end of this post
    is very interesting;
    written in haikus!

    ReplyDelete