Monday 18 February 2013

Major Fun

For my mentoring assignment I was matched up with 9 delightful students in grade 7 and 8, and their teacher Mavis Hoffman. Inspired by our class on using google docs, I offered to help them revise short stories, using this tool! We're meeting every Tuesday afternoon. Each student has a netbook, so they work on their stories or other assignments while I read the stories and discuss (using the comment or chat feature) them with the author. Some observations:

-These students are the bright spot in my week. They're goofy, imaginative, and fun!
-Did I mention imaginative? I was amazed by their story plots... lost in the Sahara... plane crash in the mountains... fighting in the trenches.... a serial killer in small-town Saskatchewan...
-I'm trying to help my students learn how to revise their work independantly. For example, instead of going ahead and correcting spelling errors, I'm working with them to find spell check tools, as well as strategies to find the errors themselves
-I'm thinking of putting one of my stories on a google doc and having them help me revise it

I think this is truly going to be a reciprocal learning experience. While I am more knowledgable and experienced in writing, they are more advanced in using technology. It would be awesome to be able to stop by their class some time this semester!

Check out what they're doing!
@majortweeters
majortweeters.weebly.com


No comments:

Post a Comment