Tuesday 19 March 2013

Google Hangout

Murder mysteries... the Sahara desert... a plane crash in the Alps... what do they all have in common? Stories I'm reading by my friends at Major School! They are sharing their stories with me through google documents, and I'm using the chat and comment tools to give them feedback.

Recently I thought, "I'd like to learn how to use google hangout." And I thought "I'd like to share one of my stories with the students." Voila! An idea was born. We all got our google+ accounts up and running and scheduled a chat for this afternoon.

I read them one of my stories and gave them four questions:

-what did you like about the story?
-what would you change about the story?
-do you think I should make it longer, shorter, or was it just right?
-do you have any questions?



It was great to hear their feedback on my writing! I got some solid ideas for how to improve. Then I gave them some writing prompts and invited them to write another short story for next week.

I liked how the sharing and feedback was reciprocal. Hopefully, now that they have given me suggestions for improvement, they will apply the same principles to their own writing.

But I have some questions about google hangout...

If I want to start a hangout, do my google friends have to be online in order to accept the invitation? There were some students who I was friends with, but I couldn't figure out how to invite them to the chat. Any ideas what went wrong?

Thanks!

Photo credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8796961@N08/775368469/">_StaR_DusT_</a> via <a href="http://compfight.com">Compfight</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/">cc</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment