Thursday 7 March 2013

I don't have a cell phone

RU Serious?
Well, that's not exactly the truth. I borrow my mom's old phone for road trips. Last time I saw it, it was dead... with no minutes.... turned off... under the seat of my car.

What if you are in an emergency?
I agree that having a cell phone can be a big help in an emergency. When I moved to Regina four years ago, I wondered if I should get a phone to cope with life in the city. However, money was tight so I decided that if I was ever in an emergency, I would try to borrow someone else's phone. In four years, I've only needed to use someone's phone once for an emergency.

How do you keep in touch?
I check my email a lot, and have trained people not to text my land line.
Recycled cell phone art from ecofriend.com

WHY NOT?
When I walk down the street or through the halls at university, most people I see are looking at their cell phone. I feel like these people are missing out on the opportunity to experience the world that is around them. I know from past experiences that I could very easily use my phone to check out of my situation. It's a way of forcing me to engage with my surroundings, even if I'm feeling bored or awkward or lonely.

Will you get a phone in the future?
Yes. If I get a job that involves making a lot of contacts and meetings, I'll get a smart phone. Cell phones have tremendous potential for making life more efficient, and I'm not going to be stubborn about being cell-phone free. The days are coming (and some might argue are already here) when it won't be a viable option to not have a phone. But for the time being, being cell-phone free makes me feel like I'm on an extended holiday. It's not for everyone, but it works for me!

Here's an article by a self-proclaimed minimalist on the no-cell phone experience.




3 comments:

  1. Shannon, good for you! I know a lot of people (including myself) would go crazy without their phones (even for an evening!). I agree with your comment of people walking with their phones and missing out on things around them. I can relate. I went 5 days without my phone and found the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your attitude. Too many times people who choose to go against the norms, trends or whatever do so with a righteous indignation towards those that do. I for one, think it's great that people thoughtfully choose to opt our or do things differently. Not to judge others but as a personal choice.

    Also, they're expensive. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing about your life without a cell phone. My friends think I'm a weird person for not having Data on my phone, and I'm sure they would think I was nuts without a phone, but I think people without cell phones and brave and creative. I sometimes wish I did not have a cellphone, it's very liberating to have one and not use it for an extended period of time. I'm very impressed that you can do what some would consider "surviving" without a cell phone, and I also find I notice the world around me when I'm not with my phone because I have nothing to distract me.

    ReplyDelete