Thursday 14 March 2013

Learning from Differences

I played a game recently that surprised me! The gist of the game was that when you saw a word, like "wedding," you had a minute to write down as many words that you thought of. Everybody had a partner, and the pair that had the most words in common won the round. My sister was my partner, so I thought that we would dominate the game. After all, we've known each other for 24 years!

The word was ice cream. This should be easy, I thought, writing down vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, neopolitan, mint chocolate chip, and cookie dough.

To my shock, we only had two words in commons! She put vanilla, strawberry, tiger-tiger, butterscotch, and cotton candy.

As we kept playing, I realized again that people really do think very differently from each other.

I am appreciating more and more that in ECMP355, we get to share our work with each other, and that each person has a different twist on the tech tasks. I've learned (maybe selfishly) to wait a couple of days to do my tech tasks so that I can get some idea of how other people are doing them. I wish that in school we would have had more opportunities to share our work with classmates. I've learned a lot from you, my fellow ECMP friends. Thank you!
Photo Credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24894289@N08/3269779650/">kern.justin</a> via <a href="http://compfight.com">Compfight</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/">cc</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment